You have probably heard about Malala as the teenage girl who was shot in the face by the Taliban, and lived to tell the tale. This is true! And what was she shot in the face for, exactly? Why, wanting to go to school, of course! Duh!
(Seriously, that’s all she wanted. The Taliban, who were basically running things in Pakistan at the time, didn’t want girls to go to school, because apparently they like their wives and daughters to be as equally stupid as they are.)
Malala and her family have since lived in England, as it is unsafe for them to return home. Malala makes it clear in her book, however, that she wants nothing more than to return home to her friends and old school, and continue life where she left off.
Here is a short list of Malala’s achievements so far in life:
- Winning the 2014 Nobel Peace Prize
- Winning the Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought
- Having her birthday named Malala Day by the UN
- Starting the Malala Fund to educate girls around the world
- Working to promote #BooksNotBullets – I mean, so much yes
Oh yes, and she wrote a book, I am Malala. You should go read it!